Monday, February 07, 2011

Week in TV: January 30-February 5

Big Love

- I really, really want this season to end with Barb running away to start her own sect of feminist Mormons. Actually, finding Adam Beach first and then running away. (Intermittently, I want Barb to smother Bill with a pillow and then run away to start her own feminist sect. But in this episode the caroling scene and the scene where Bill directly confronts Alby reminded me that he's not a horrible, self-involved person all the time.)

- What kind of ice rink has a Couples Skate to "Knowing Me, Knowing You"? I mean, sure, everyone loves ABBA (that may actually be my favorite ABBA song), and it made for a great moment in the show, but isn't that kind of thing supposed to be romantic? I think a song that starts out with the lyric "No more happy laughter" kind of defeats the purpose. I guess "God Only Knows" would've been a bit too meta, though.

- I love Heather (and Tina Majorino), but I'm a little disappointed that she didn't use her time away at college to engage in some personal reflection and decide to stay away from the Henricksons forever. Run, Heather! Save yourself!

- Anne Dudek generally brings awesomeness wherever she goes, but they've really been using her well on this season of Big Love. That scene in the shelter where Lura wearily removes her fake eyelashes was such a quiet, beautifully executed character moment.

Skins

- Before this season started, "Chris" was the episode I was most curious to see. While I think "Cassie" and "Jal" (the second and third episodes of the first series of the original) are better overall episodes, the first UK "Chris" lays a lot of emotional groundwork that sustains arcs that carry through to the end of the second series, and presents an important moment of pathos for a character who up until this point was mostly a goofball. Like the pilot, this episode frequently hewed uncomfortably closely to its predecessor, but I think Jesse Carere acquitted himself well following in Joseph Dempsie's footsteps.

- This episode, more than the others, made me think that this show could be great in its own right if the writers worked more to recognize the strengths of this group of actors and tailor the roles to those strengths. James Newman in particular seems to have somewhat softer edges than Nicholas Hoult in the role of Tony (especially in the ongoing arc of US Tony and Tea as opposed to UK Tony and Maxxie), and if the writing of the character reflected those differences, then Newman wouldn't always fall short in comparison.

Community

I was eating dinner when I watched this, and I laughed so hard at Joel McHale's delivery of "Maaaarrrrr" that I choked on my food. That's right - this Community was so funny that it almost killed me. The excellence of the Dungeons and Dragons game made up for the irritation generated by the horrifying behavior they've been writing for Pierce.

Also Watched: 90210, Chuck, Gossip Girl, Greek, RuPaul's Drag Race, Hellcats, The Good Wife, Cougar Town, Off the Map, Top Chef, Parks and Recreation, Grey's Anatomy, Bones, 30 Rock, Private Practice

No comments: