Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trailer Thoughts

Chick-lit nitpick ahoy!


As I said back in my observations about Heart of the Matter, I like Emily Giffin's books because her characters act like adults. Not that you would necessarily glean that from this specific trailer. I like Something Borrowed enough, and think that it offers something so qualitatively and substantively different from other recent "chick flicks," that I'm willing to withhold judgement until the whole movie comes out. And, ultimately, while I have quibbles, it doesn't look bad based on this trailer. All that being said, there are a few things that jump out to me based on this snippet.

- As with any first-person work, I'm curious/concerned to see whether the emotional depth of the book will translate to the screen. The voiceover in the trailer works, but too much of that in a movie starts to feel like telling instead of showing. So much of how the reader comes to understand Rachel's relationships with both Darcy and Dex comes through in her communication of the story (and then creates such a striking contrast with Something Blue), and it seems like the plot particulars of Something Borrowed could seem much shallower without that grounding.

- From the scenes chosen here it seems like Movie Ethan is functioning as sort of a hybrid of Book Ethan and Hilary which a) is too bad, because I really like Hilary as a character and b) concerns me a bit. Not that I don't want more Ethan - I really like Ethan (and think Dex is kind of boring) - but I think that the physical distance that Giffin establishes in Something Borrowed is important to his function in the story as someone who advises Rachel without seeming to have a horse in the race, so to speak, as to who ends up with Dex.

- I will say that Kate Hudson seems perfectly cast as Darcy, and I hope that the movie does enough to make it clear why Rachel is friends with her even with all the shallow image-consciousness. In fact, I think my strongest feeling after watching this was, "I hope this does well enough that they make Something Blue." Because if Hudson's as tapped in to the character as she seems based on this bit, (and if she and John Kransinski have solid chemistry) then the take on Darcy's point of view could really be excellent.

No comments: