Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Week in TV: January 23-29

Big Love

- I was a little worried after the premiere, but this episode was much more reminiscent of Season Three in focusing on women and the different ways that they're affected by the patriarchal hierarchies that shape society in the show. I especially liked the way this episode brought in Barb's mother - sometimes new information introduced late in a show's run can feel implausible or overly convenient, but Nancy's history as a former ERA advocate both made a lot of sense and explained a lot about her and her relationships with Barb and Cindy.

- This might just be me not remembering anything that happened in the fourth season, but what happened to Joey and Wanda? I didn't realize until this episode that Shawn Doyle and Melora Walters aren't listed in the opening credits anymore.

Greek

If nothing else, this last stretch of episodes was totally validated by the excellence of this week's Beaver-centric episode. Not only was it a great showcase for Aaron Hill, who's been an all-star of a supporting player throughout the show's run, but it was also stuffed full of Greek-type awesomeness, like the return of Katherine and Stripper Heath. If you'd asked me during the preceding hiatus whether I missed Greek, I probably would've shrugged indifferently, but this episode really exemplified the way the show created and perfected its own little niche in the television schedule.

RuPaul's Drag Race

- Before this season started, I was thinking to myself, "You know, I kind of wish they would bring Shangela back like Daniel Franco on Project Runway. If nothing else, that totally excellent turn on Terriers seems like more than enough justification for a second chance." AND THEN MY WISH CAME TRUE!

- Vanessa Williams is kind of perfect as far as guest judges go. I don't know about you, but I think presenting at the Golden Globes plus being a Drag Race judge makes up for the fact that she was totally shafted by not being included in the Miss America 90th anniversary reunion. (I also liked how Delta Work's "Kwanzaa realness" dovetailed so nicely with my December 26 post.)

Skins

I'm of two minds about Tea's role as the one American character who appears to be dramatically different from their UK counterpart. On the one hand, television can definitely use more young lesbian characters (this EW timeline that accompanied their recent Gay Teens on TV cover story really clearly marks the disparity), and while the plot of this episode felt laid on a little thick at times, the scene with Tea's grandmother describing her past was genuinely affecting. On the other hand, the show draws so significantly from its predecessor that it feels strange to have just one character who's so different from their antecedent. Tea's relationship with the boys in the group is tinged with a sort of wink-wink lasciviousness that makes it a disappointing companion to Maxxie's relative place within the UK group, and I wish they would've maintained Maxxie's interest in theater in the translation, as opposed to making her a cheerleader.

Off the Map

I want to like this show - there are actors I really, really like in it - but after three episodes, the premise remains a bit off-putting. I understand wanting to give each character a compelling backstory, but the collective tragedy of it all makes it seem like the only doctors the people of this unnamed South American country can get are unbelievably emotionally damaged. Like...well-adjusted people who've worked through their issues (and speak Spanish) are too good for this jungle clinic? Or the people running the clinic don't care if the doctors use the patients to work through their heavy personal business?

Nikita

Can I be totally shallow/lame for a minute? As a former viewer of The Young and the Restless, (okay, I still watch sometimes but not very frequently) I was really excited that they reunited Thad Luckinbill and Lyndsey Fonseca here. They always had really great chemistry, which is part of why I've never really been able to buy anyone else playing Colleen on Y&R. I mostly approach shows with serious intent and an analytical mind, but I'll be honest - there's a part of me that's just a big softy shipper at heart.

Parks and Recreation

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure this is the episode where Ben Wyatt became my new Fake TV Boyfriend. And sick Leslie Knope became my new most favorite thing ever.

Also Watched: 90210, Gossip Girl, Hellcats, Cougar Town, Community, The Office, 30 Rock, Bones

No comments: