Friday, June 29, 2012

Trailer Thoughts

Speaking of which...



Spoiler Alert! That highly motivated running may in fact be the most action that occurs in this entire story. (Part of me really hopes they kept Stephenie Meyer's weird allusion to The Merchant of Venice, re: the minimal-action conclusion to this story's central conflict.)

So, I didn't really realize it until Entertainment Weekly posted their gallery of stills last week, but I kind of forgot how totally insane this book is. Something feels leaps-and-bounds more insane about actually seeing the "It's a Small World"-esque cavalcade of international vampires and Taylor Lautner-as-Jacob interacting with his child soulmate. So weird. Too weird? Awesomely weird?

I also totally forgot that Wendell Pierce had been cast in this until the appearance of his hand in this trailer. (His hand feels distinctive to me - I guess between Bunk's cigars on The Wire and Antoine's trombone playing on Treme, David Simon's made it at least cult-TV-prominent.) People always say such super-rational stuff about Twilight, The Wire and respective fans of each, so I'm curious to see how that plays out.

No comments: