Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Idle TV Thoughts

My brain has latched onto this thought, and now I need to tease it out. So: after watching the Bunheads pilot, I was thinking that the vaguely-alluded-to story of Sasha's gay dad sounded like a lost verse from "At the Ballet" from A Chorus Line. (Yes, as was mentioned at the end of April - I'm still thinking about A Chorus Line and sometimes listening to the soundtrack and I really, really hope they'll go meta there and have like Priscilla Lopez come on and play a former dance colleague of Kelly Bishop's character.) And then I started wondering whether the town in the show being called Paradise is a reference to the line, "It wasn't paradise/But it was home" re: ballet class in the aforementioned song, which is not only Bishop's big number, but is also partially based on her actual life. And then I wondered whether that's too dense a reference even for Amy Sherman-Palladino. But then I remembered seeing this Gilmore Girls episode once where Carole King (singer of the show's theme song) was playing a record store owner in Stars Hollow with "Pleasant Valley Sunday" playing in the background. So who knows. (Please imagine all that being rattled off at rapid speed, ASP-style.)

No comments: