Monday, January 02, 2012

On Setting and Executing Goals

Looking back at the writing goals I laid down at the beginning of last year, I have to say that they're essentially unchanged for this year. While I didn't quite hit my desired minimum of 120 posts for the year, thinking about that goal throughout the year forced me to look critically at some habits I'd like to break going forward. This year, I'm going to work on writing and publishing things while I'm actively engaged in thinking about them, rather than letting drafts stew for weeks (and sometimes months) and then returning to them and finding myself unable to recall what specifically I found so interesting in the first place. Part of this might be switching up the style of some posts, especially the aggregate reflections on different media - if I constantly arrive at Thursday with observations of the TV week ending on the preceding Saturday still unwritten, then that seems to be a sign that I should break the week up differently or write on one show at a time. Hopefully, it will feel like an interesting way to challenge myself to write more, rather than a chore. We'll see.

No comments: