Wednesday, January 04, 2012

OMG You Guys: Volume II, Part I



I'm slightly obsessed with this trailer.


- I love how the trailer touches on important moments from the book without feeling like it's giving everything away. Watching this made me dive back through a quick re-read of all three books, and I was particularly struck to see how some of the same moments that get highlighted here also get mentioned in Mockingjay when they're discussing how to make Katniss an effective symbol for the revolution:


"'I want everyone to think of one incident where Katniss Everdeen genuinely moved you. Not where you were jealous of her hairstyle, or her dress went up in flames or she made a halfway decent shot with an arrow. Not where Peeta was making you like her. I want to hear one moment where she made you feel something real.'
Quiet stretches out and I'm beginning to think it will never end, when Leevy speaks up. 'When she volunteered to take Prim's place at the reaping. Because I'm sure she thought she was going to die.'" - Mockingjay, p. 74


- The actress playing Rue looks so teeny-tiny! Ugh, I'm already envisioning unsightly public crying.


- I'm really interested to see more of how spectatorship functions in this movie, since this trailer makes it look like some of what we'll be seeing is how people in the districts watch the games as opposed to just staying inside the stadium. Adaptations from first-person books often suffer in translation, but here, for once, I can see potential benefits to getting out of the protagonist's head. It could be really vital to shaping the series going forward.


- Needs more Peeta. And Haymitch.

No comments: