Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dream Emmy Ballot 2011: Lead Actor in a Comedy

Alec Baldwin - "Jack Donaghy", 30 Rock
Steve Carell - "Michael Scott", The Office
Zachary Levi - "Chuck Bartowski", Chuck
Joel McHale - "Jeff Winger", Community
Lucas Neff - "Jimmy Chance", Raising Hope

True Life: This is always the most difficult category for me. It seems that there are a lot of male-led comedies that I simply have no interest in watching. Or they're like buzzy arthouse movies - I feel more like I should watch them than I want to watch them. There were certainly performances I enjoyed, though. Baldwin did a great job with the art-imitating-life storylines with Kabletown and Jack becoming a father. Carell executed his final episodes as Michael Scott with both grace and humor. Levi did a lot of heavy lifting that carried some of Chuck's storylines (especially the one focused on Vivian Volkoff) through their weaknesses. McHale anchored Community with magnetic personality. Neff proved to be a great straight man among Greg Garcia's cast of wacky personalities.

Honorable Mention: Rob Lowe, Parks and Recreation

Not that I don't think Lowe wasn't delightful as Chris Traeger, or that I don't get why he or his agent or whoever decided on this strategy, but he doesn't belong in this category.

I wouldn't be surprised to see: Louis C.K., Louie; David Duchovny, Californication; Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory; Thomas Jane, Hung; Matt LeBlanc, Episodes; Danny McBride, Eastbound and Down; Matthew Morrison, Glee; Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory; Matthew Perry, Mr. Sunshine; Jason Schwartzman, Bored to Death; William Shatner, $#*! My Dad Says

No comments: