Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mood Music LVIII




It's been one of those days. You know, the kind where you wake up at 6:15 in the morning after falling asleep with your contacts still in, then fall back asleep after getting up to take them out to be awoken again by your alarm at 9:30. Then comes the back-and-forth with you and the snooze button and around, oh, 10:20 or so, part of your brain thinks, "This is well past a rational adult time in the morning to wake up. You are totally ready to turn the alarm off and seize the day!" but there's also this sluggish voice fighting to be heard saying something more like, "You know, I think I'm still tired. I don't really think we should turn the alarm off. You...should really...reset...the...alarm...before...youuuu....faaalllll...baaaack...tooooo..." And then the next time you open your eyes, you already know without looking at the clock that it is past noon. Yeah, one of those days.

Anywho, the above selection just sort of keeps popping into my head. Probably the annual post-Tonys surge of show tune love. The performance comes from the 80th birthday concert they did for Stephen Sondheim last year, which I watched when it aired on PBS. I'd never heard any songs from Follies before, but I automatically loved nearly every selection they included in the concert. I'm kind of bummed that I never got to see the recent Kennedy Center production of Follies, though I suppose that's my own fault for never bringing it up with persons more financially equipped to purchase theater tickets during the relevant time window.

No comments: