Friday, November 26, 2010

Week in TV: November 14-20

Glee

- I know lots of people think she's too smug, or pretentious, or out of touch with common people or whatever, but I kind of love Gwyneth. While all the celebrity-guest-star announcements were initially worrying, Glee seems to be building a stable of tertiary characters who could reasonably recur - more Friends than Will and Grace.

- This isn't a show where I frequently identify with the characters, but when Mercedes was questioning Kurt about the guy he tried to set her up with, ultimately figuring out that he matched them up mainly because they're both black? I have been there, girl.

- There's bad timing, and then there's using yet another spectacularly awful "mash-up" to close your show on the day after the new Girl Talk album hits the web. He's probably far too legit for the job, but Glee should try to hire Gregg Gillis as a mash-up consultant, because that business is sounding pretty rough.

Sons of Anarchy

- I was skeptical about the Irish storyline, and I still ultimately feel that Kurt Sutter seems to have a clearer sense of how it all fits together in the show's broader mythology than is necessarily being communicated on-screen, but I have to say that I really like how the Abel kidnapping storyline has come back around to inform Jax's thinking about his father and his feelings about the club. The twist of Abel getting adopted initially felt like one plot turn too many, but was ultimately worth it for that wrenching sequence of Jax following Abel around with his new family.

- Images like Gemma pointing a gun at a baby are why I love television, truly.

The Good Wife

I'll talk more about For Colored Girls in my November movie post (mixed feelings) but I have to say that I think I sold Tyler Perry a bit short, because I still feel totally wigged out when I see Michael Ealy, even in TGW's "hobnobbing with Chicago's legal cognoscenti" mode.

Also Watched: Chuck, 90210, Gossip Girl, Raising Hope, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Hellcats, Terriers, Community, 30 Rock, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Degrassi

No comments: