Friday, July 16, 2010

Trailer Thoughts




That Scala/Kolacny Brothers cover of "Creep" is so haunting, it was bound to show up in a trailer one of these days, and it's used to pretty great effect here. I'm really intrigued by this movie - Fincher is one of those weird holes in my film viewing (I'm pretty sure that they'll take my Millenial card away if I don't see Fight Club before I turn 25.) I'd like to think that I have enough perspective to acknowledge the appeal of generational navel-gazing; I was a freshman in college in 2004, which means this fall will mark six(!) years of being a Facebook member. I think the rapid pace of change on the Internet and the relative novelty of social networking there means that it makes sense to dramatize the story while it still feels important, whether history bears out that reading or not. (In the interest of candor, I'll also say that I'm pretty sure I'm obligated to find an above-average degree of schadenfreude in a story about Harvard students being assholes to each other.)

Admittedly, I'm most curious about Aaron Sorkin's screenplay. He has a lot of strengths, but being Down with The Kids These Days is not really known to be one of them, and in the past he's seemed to take somewhat of a dim view of the culture spawned by the Internet (notoriously getting into it with commenters on Television Without Pity back in the day). It'll be interesting to see whether the stylistic touches that make his writing so distinctive translate to a story involving real people instead of characters of his own creation.

No comments: