Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Dream Emmy Ballot 2010

This is probably just indicative of what a nerd I am, but I love this project. It's like the TV obsessive's equivalent of a fantasy sport. I've decided to spread things out a bit more than last year - one category at a time rather than separated out by genre so it's not so crazily text-heavy. The rules (such as they are, being entirely self-imposed): Only those performers and shows that appear on the official ballots are eligible and only in the categories in which they were submitted; I only include those shows that I watched during the eligibility period.

I don't know whether I'll ultimately try to do a predictive ballot as well. It can be hard to gauge how the Academy's thinking will shift from one year to the next - Glee is almost certainly too big to ignore, but how will other new comedies fare? Who (if anyone) will come out on top of Modern Family's "everyone submit in supporting actor" strategy? Will the nominations reflect growing critical and fan disenchantment with shows like The Office, 30 Rock and How I Met Your Mother? Will the basic cable original programming explosion manifest anywhere besides the yearly nominations for Tony Shalhoub, Kyra Sedgwick and Holly Hunter? Lost will likely see a final season nomination shower, but will Law and Order get any extra love? (For that matter - 24? Nip/Tuck? Ugly Betty?) Further thoughts as each category merits them.

No comments: