Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mood Music VI




This may be the only good thing that came out of all the time I spent watching Studio 60.  I can't say how thrilled I was that the person who posted this chose to mute all the dialogue - just the sight of the characters making eyes at each other made me roll mine.  In many ways, this scene is emblematic of all the things that didn't really work about Studio 60 - it's the culmination of a plot about the show's musicians taking leave to give their spots over temporarily to displaced musicians from New Orleans.  Unquestionably well-intentioned, but poorly executed - mostly, it always seemed like Aaron Sorkin was trying to give the same kind of import to the backstage goings-on of a sketch comedy show as he once did to the backstage goings-on of the White House.  It never really gelled.  Mostly the show siphoned away my goodwill for The West Wing and made me feel sorry for Kristen Chenoweth, as Sorkin seemed determined to address various sticking points of their relationship through the show. (I read somewhere that there were rumors about her writing a memoir, and it made me really excited because I'd love to know her take on all that craziness.) However, right after this show aired, NBC offered the song as a download on their site, and I have enjoyed it ever since.  I'm generally more of a fan of poppy, sixties-era Christmas music, but this is a beautiful rendering of a more traditional song.

No comments: