Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My Two Cents

Generally speaking, I don't have a problem with Rolling Stone's "However Many Greatest Songs/Singers/Albums/Guitar Players, etc. of All Time" lists, because I think they're kind of fun to read through and learn new things about rock history and one can make delightful music playlists from them.  I'm in the midst of working on a paper for class about the MTV VMAs, which have a totally mysterious voting process, so RS's process of balloting among artists and music journalists is refreshingly transparent, and an interesting way of conducting the formation of such a list.  Probably they should call them "Our Favorite" instead of "The Greatest," since I think the presumption of authority is what gets people all riled up about the lists.  Anyway, the point is, I usually don't quibble, but Grace Slick was robbed of a spot on their recent "100 Greatest Singers of All Time" (or, if you go by their description of the voting instructions, the rock era) list:



I've always loved "Somebody to Love," but after I recently watched Monterey Pop for the first time, "High Flying Bird" jumped into the top 25 Most Played on my iTunes. Isn't that beautiful? Also, the woman can wear a headband - this performance gives me an unreasonable desire to have bangs.

No comments: