Monday, March 12, 2012

On Downton Abbey Season Two

I always seem to have finale posts that linger for months after their respective shows aired, and I wanted to actually post this before the next cable cycle revs up.

- I ultimately liked the second series, but can't say I disagree with some of the criticisms that labeled it too soapy.  I think the notable difference between the first and second series is that in the second the seams felt more visible in Fellowes' pastiche.  The dramatic plot machinations sometimes felt overheated or specifically designed to postpone plot resolution until the latest possible moment rather than to drive the story organically.  While the first series was great, I don't think it bought Fellowes the kind of goodwill that prompts people to give a free pass to similar plot developments in nineteenth-century classics of the genre.  Nor does he seem terribly interested in trying to subvert some of those well-worn tropes instead of playing them straightforwardly.  The highs were still high enough to carry the rest of the material, but hopefully the criticisms of the season will prompt a more measured take in the third go-round.

- The one development that really deserved the "soap opera" qualifier, though not necessarily with the negative connotations intended? Matthew's paralysis. Paralysis (and blindness) is like the Chekov's gun of soap operas; if a guy gets paralyzed in the first act, he's not still going to be in that wheelchair when you've reached the story's conclusion. They skipped a fairly standard step, in which the person (usually a man, I'm sure gender theorists could speculate as to why that is) who is paralyzed/blind realizes that they can walk/see again but keeps it a secret because they don't want to lose the relationships they've mended/created during the time of their injury. Then you get the emergency situation where they're suddenly forced to reveal that they have regained the ability to walk/see. It seemed like they were going to go there with Matthew, but I guess the suggestion of it got lost in all the characters' relief over his junk working again. (The other day, I happened to catch a few minutes of The Young and the Restless, where Jack Abbott is currently in a wheelchair and the day's story revolved around people discovering that formerly blind Adam Newman was responsible for the situation leading to said paralysis. At some point, someone said "Jack will never walk again!" and I think I said, "Oh, PLEASE." aloud to the television. Soaps are magical and wonderful, is basically the moral of that story.) In a set of episodes awash in classic melodrama, I think this was my favorite "oldie-but-a-goodie."

- So...babies and in-law drama for the third series? I could get behind that. (Plus, I guess, springing Bates from jail? That storyline kind of lost steam for me there towards the end.) Even with Matthew and Mary together, I think that the show's established enough about the characters that I feel semi-confident predicting that A) certain of the ensemble won't feel truly at ease until she's had at least two boys and B) Mary's the kind of person who will not take kindly at all to the feeling that her womb is being monitored. I also hope they use the Bransons to introduce some of the Irish conflict into the story - for whatever reason, I like the idea of DA and Boardwalk Empire having a bit of overlap in historical fictive space. It seems like the growth of new family lives for the young Ladies Crawley should be enough to propel the story organically. *fingers crossed*

- Apparently, they're moving the show (as they should) from Miniseries/Movie to Drama for this year's Emmys. This Hitfix piece from Dan Fienberg does a good job of dissecting some of the issues at play in the Drama field, specifically why "Can Downton Abbey derail Mad Men?" is the wrong question to ask. (The Drama field is so dense this year, and we haven't even seen Mad Men or Game of Thrones yet! Emmy prognosticating is so much denser and more fun than trying to predict the Oscars!) Hopefully, the move will be accompanied by at least Michelle Dockery's name being put on the nomination ballot. (I ended up not posting my "Unsubmitted" list for last year's Dream Ballot, but she was at the very top of it.)

No comments: