Thursday, October 07, 2010

Mood Music XXXVIII: Feeling Nostalgic

You'd be forgiven for looking at this list and wondering, "Nostalgic for when, exactly?" For my early months of college, when these songs served as my soundtrack. After my parents had gotten me settled into my dorm room, one of the first things I did was download iTunes on my new laptop. At that time at home, the only Internet-connected computer was my mother's work desktop, which created this sense of constant surveillance. And I was such a good kid that I didn't even want to do anything that scandalous once I had free reign with my own computer. Even this totally legal enterprise felt emblematic of sweet, sweet freedom. The following are the first fifteen songs I bought - fifteen because I used a gift card - and there's something terribly soothing about listening to them in purchase order. It's not really a mix, but it's not random either. Maybe I'll do other chunks in the future - I love the way they present little snapshots of a given set of months.

Sister Golden Hair - America




One of my favorite songs.


Still the One - Orleans




Summers at home spent watching VH1's daily morning blocks of videos always result in one or two songs like this making their way into my musical consciousness. It was never super popular, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I'd heard it about 100 times over the course of Summer 2004.

Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding



Probably mostly prompted by Pretty in Pink, but excellent nonetheless.

Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful



I Was Made to Love Her - Stevie Wonder



When I was young, like 8-10, when my classmates started to listen to Top 40 and enjoy all the pop and alternative rock that the mid-90s had to offer, I was listening to the local oldies station. By the time I hit middle school, I had gotten into contemporary music too, but the tracks from the 50s and 60s remained formative. (I'm convinced that this is an underlying factor in my never really having gotten into Radiohead.) There's been a lot of chasing down songs that I loved back in the day - these are just the first two (and two of my all-time favorites.)

Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters - Elton John



I've bought an absurd number of songs because of movies and TV shows. This one owes its spot here to Almost Famous. The "Tiny Dancer" sequence may be more famous, but I think I like this one more.

Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield



Being a certain type of high schooler, I went through a period of being into eighties pop culture (mostly movies and music) and I can only imagine that this is a remnant of that phase.

Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters



Come to My Window - Melissa Etheridge



This song was in one of my favorite mixes that I made during high school, but in a live version from a 9/11 benefit CD. Not my favorite Etheridge track - that honor goes to "I'm the Only One," which is not only an excellent song, but was a pivotal part of the soundtrack to my ongoing meltdown sophomore year - but still quality.

Bella Notte - from Lady and the Tramp



Lady and the Tramp is, and always has been, my favorite Disney movie. My mother is fond of telling the story of what was apparently an epic act of elder manipulation at the Disney store when I was young, as I convinced my grandfather that dire things would happen if I didn't get the stuffed Tramp to go along with Lady. I think this is 50s-era Disney's best love song.

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey



Here I Go Again - Whitesnake



80s, again.

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan



If You Leave - Nada Surf



The first of many songs I bought after hearing them on The O.C. - the show always had lovely covers.

No comments: