Monday, October 25, 2010

Baking: Miscellaneous

So, I ended up feeling a bit...out of sorts...this weekend, and in looking for somewhere to displace my energies I took a brief break from reality and apparently became possessed by a manic impulse to function as a one-woman bake sale. Below, behold my Sunday afternoon and evening.

I feel like this post needs its own mood music selection.

Nigella Lawson's chocolate chip cookies with peanuts from the NY Times Dessert Cookbook, and Cap'n Crunch crispy treats from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey. The crispy treats are very, very sweet.

Spritz cookies - these were my favorite thing about Christmastime growing up, and once I had my own kitchen I just sort of pilfered the electric cookie press from home and now I just make them whatever time of year I want. They're easy to overcook, but this was the best batch I've made in a while, just buttery and melt-in-your-mouth.

Chocolate cupcakes (this recipe with modified baking time) pre-frosting

And post-frosting, with Raspberry Buttercream, using some of the remaining frozen puree from my birthday. I'm proud of my piping, which I tried for the first time with these two batches above and below. It's not quite professional-looking, but it's better than slapping the frosting on with a spatula.

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting

Packaged up and ready for transit. I feel like I should advertise this like a place that sells overstocks. Like, "Coming this Monday! I spent the weekend mired in insecurity; YOU be thankful Like Water for Chocolate is a work of fiction and reap the sugar-drenched benefits!"

No comments: