Sunday, September 12, 2010

Books Read: August 2010

August 6: One Day by David Nicholls

August 10: Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

August 13: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

In the past, before each new Harry Potter volume came out I would re-read all the preceding books. It became sort of a soothing summer ritual; it also means that I've read the first four books (Goblet of Fire became the division point because it's my favorite) many more times than the final three. I missed that old ritual, and the film of Half-Blood Prince has entered that endless loop of HBO play, so I decided to pick the book up again. It'll be interesting to see whether the Deathly Hallows movies pick up on any of the dropped themes or plot points from the book; I understand why they condensed the Pensieve memories, but the book places a bit more emphasis on the similarities between Harry and young Tom Riddle, which in turn could have lent more emotional heft to the film.

August 13: The Romantics by Galt Niederhoffer

I read Niederhoffer's previous novel, A Taxonomy of Barnacles, a few years ago, and when I saw in the trailer below that this novel had inspired the film, I decided to pick it up. Reading descriptions of the book made me wonder if it was set in the present day; indeed, though it is, it has what felt to me like a very retro take on white ethnicity, setting up conflict between Jewish Laura, Catholic Tom and WASP Lila. The characters' strong sense of social divisions generated from these backgrounds felt at times like a relic from Erich Segal's heyday.

I still feel like I'm not sure whether I liked this book or not. I'm genuinely unsure about whether Niederhoffer intended for her characters to come across as such horrible people. "Friends" usually connotes even a minimal degree of mutual affection, but I never believed that any of the characters ever liked each other. More like the kind of enmity-disguised-as-friendship that prompts normal people to abandon the relationships once they've left whatever school/employment that temporarily forces them into close proximity. As I'm sure is obvious from the television shows I like to watch, I like stories about unsavory people of all sorts as long as they're made with clarity, skill, and self-awareness. I just never felt like I could get a firm handle on assessing those qualities (particularly the last) in the book.

Can I rant for a minute? My personal rule of thumb in fictional depictions of Yalies is: if the author mentions secret societies more than residential colleges, it's a no-go. Normally I hate to be a nitpicker, but the inaccuracies made it difficult to tell whether Niederhoffer was intentionally making her characters seem like idiots. (I'll just cite one example: Laura remembers meeting Tom for the first time as a freshman on the Old Campus, where he asks her how to get to Linsly Chittenden. Now, if this is a serious question, he's an idiot. For 5/6 of the school's freshmen, this would indicate that one has walked out of the front door of the building in which they live and immediately misplaced a building that is more or less directly in front of them. There are buildings on the campus that are difficult to locate; LC is simply not one of them. If it's not a serious question, then she's an idiot for finding such a lame ploy charming. And I'm going to stop now, because I sound like an insufferable elitist just like this book's characters.) Wikipedia indicates that Niederhoffer went to Harvard - I don't understand why she didn't just utilize the environment with which she was already familiar. I'm pretty sure the characters would still be snobs either way.



August 14: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

August 28: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay is a slow starter, with too much time devoted to the specifics of life in District 13, but once it gets going it provides a haunting conclusion to the Hunger Games trilogy. Collins deserves a lot of credit for being unwilling to pull punches - Mockingjay often depicts a brutal, violent world and never shies away from the consequences of the war at its center - the post-traumatic stress that lingers over each of the Games' "victors" throughout Mockingjay gives the book an emotional heft that wasn't quite present in the previous two books. The end isn't so much "and they lived happily ever after" as "and they lived, for whatever that's worth."

Word is that the film rights have (unsurprisingly) been picked up - it'll need a director and screenwriter with a sensitive touch and a flair for nuance to really pull it off. Hollywood seems to like these things a bit more cut-and-dry than what Collins offers - it's not good vs. evil so much as evil vs. lesser evil, and is there really such a thing as a "lesser evil" anyway? - and the relative mishandling of The Golden Compass doesn't necessarily portend great things for another trilogy rooted in ambiguity and the kinds of questions about life that many don't think need to be asked in works that are ostensibly "for children." With a sense of gravity and a good cast, a film could well capture the world of the books, but without it risks replicating the exploitation that the book critiques. We'll see.

No comments: