Friday, August 27, 2010

Odds and Ends

It's the first weekend of school and Emmy weekend, so I'm trying to figure out how to balance all the things I'd like to do. I'm still fighting off a wave of exhaustion that hit me last night, causing me to fall asleep still clad in my clothes from the day, without brushing my teeth or anything, and then hit a combination of snooze buttons (phone and alarm clock) for two hours this morning, finally dragging my ass out of bed around 11. Which is not supposed to happen now that classes have formally begun. Waking up tired is one of those things that doesn't really get substantively better over the course of the day. Like, I had some coffee and I'm upright and all, but I just want to lie back down on the couch and stare at the ceiling for a while, or as my mother would say, "Rest my eyes." I'm debating whether or not to bake something for a barbecue tonight - people are supposed to bring something, but I don't have any fresh eggs and I don't feel like making something because I spent a good chunk of last night making this quiche:


Mmmm, delicious dairy goodness. With a delicious buttery, flaky crust, if I do say so myself. (I'd love to try to make puff pastry, but there isn't even approaching enough space in my kitchen. I thought about asking for a marble pastry slab for my birthday, but I've got enough shit in this apartment without adding mostly useless kitchen tools. Logic is the only thing keeping me from acquiring things like a pasta maker and a butane torch.)

I could make something with pre-fab dough, but that seems so half-assed. Ultimately, I'd rather just hang around my apartment awaiting the things that *fingers crossed* are supposed to be coming in the mail today - the next Sons of Anarchy disc and my copy of Mockingjay - but I'm the social chair for my grad program this year, so I feel like I should be...social.

I might try to do a live-blog on Sunday. It's probably something I won't officially decide until 7:50 that night. I've got another beginning-of-the-school-year event immediately beforehand, so we'll see what happens. Same for a prediction post - I don't feel sufficiently well-versed in all the shows to offer "Should Win" opinions, and I don't have any radical theories that would make "Will Win" predictions dramatically different from any of the other ones that are out there. The Emmys, like any other entertainment academy award, are a mix of talent, quality, familiarity, laziness, and hype; it's difficult to know in any given year which will factor most in any given category. Plus, they don't have a stream of precursor awards like the Oscars - other bodies (Hollywood Foreign Press, SAG and other guilds) give their television awards at the same time as their film awards, around the turn of the calendar year.

Some predictions/opinions from other writers:

Alan Sepinwall (comedy/drama)
Alessandra Stanley (Her point about the Emmys needing to diversify is a good one, but her evidence isn't grounded in points about the specific television season being considered in this particular go-round.)

Finally, I can't tell how much is actually thinking this looks good, and how much is loving the song choice in "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore," but I'm officially psyched about this show:



AMC's got a fairly solid batting average so far, and I like that TV seems to be increasingly recognized as an adaptive medium that offers the potential for more depth than film.

No comments: