Friday, August 20, 2010

5 New Shows I'm Excited About This Fall

Boardwalk Empire (HBO)



The promos for this show make me want to jump up and down screaming like a teenager who's just spotted her favorite heartthrob. I'm a sucker for lush period detail. It looks like HBO's "Not so fast, AMC! Watch your back, FX!" bid for new original cable programming dominance in the 2010s.

Lone Star (Fox)



I don't think I talk too much about how much I love soaps, but: I Love Soaps and I have a special place in my heart for primetime soaps. This simultaneously looks like a throwback to old-school classics like Dynasty and Dallas, and like its own unique contemporary show.

Undercovers (NBC)



As an Alias fan from back in the day, I'm probably part of the core audience NBC is aiming for in advertising this show as being "from" J.J. Abrams, though he's not the showrunner. Even if he's not that involved, I'm still excited to see a major network throw its support behind a show like this with black leads. And who knows, maybe they can get Carl Lumbly in there somewhere as, like, someone's super-awesome spy uncle or something.

Raising Hope (Fox)



Greg Garcia showed a particular flair for depicting the human capacity for tacky behavior on My Name is Earl, and it looks like he's returning to the well here. (If he wasn't doing this, he'd probably be an ideal writer for Showtime's upcoming remake of Shameless.) Beyond the premise, I'm really intrigued to see Garrett Dillahunt and Martha Plimpton do comedy - I've only ever seen them in dramatic roles (in Dillahunt's case, predominantly killers and/or sociopaths).

Hawaii Five-O (CBS)



I don't really have any interest in CBS's determination to make Alex O'Loughlin happen (he seems likable enough, I guess, but if this tanks too then I think maybe CBS should re-evaluate their strategy), but as a card-carrying nerd I'm super-excited to see Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim get more work. Plus, while I prefer more serialized shows, I always love to add a good procedural to the mix.

No comments: