Saturday, April 03, 2010

Retraction!

As Jerry Orbach says at the end of Dirty Dancing, "When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong." You guys, I was wrong. 10 Things I Hate About You the TV show is not a pop culture travesty. It is a charming, delightful high school comedy.



From the pilot on, the show has really used the movie on which its based to provide little more than sketchy character guidelines. The actors don't really invite comparison with their earlier counterparts, because they're not really playing the same people. ABC Family has managed to carve out a decent niche for itself by presenting original material that's a step more mature than the offerings of, say, Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, which has the added bonus of making its characters seem more like actual teenagers. When 10 Things is at its best it's hilariously witty, and the show manages to feel simultaneously familiar and fresh. I also have to give it up to 10 Things for having a smart outspoken progressive teen feminist as its heroine - Kat Stratford remains the kind of character who is all too rare in popular media today.

No comments: