Friday, April 30, 2010

Books Read: April 2010

April 23 - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz

I read this one for a class. It's interesting to see how frequently the Pulitzer committee has chosen these sort of multi-layered histories for their fiction prize in recent years. They may feature different protagonists and narrators, themes and tones, but there's still a lot in common between Oscar Wao and, say, Kavalier and Clay, Middlesex and The Known World. I dug Diaz's take on Oscar's epic nerdiness - it kind of makes me want to create an "Oscar Wao Sci-Fi/Fantasy Reference" tumblr.

April 30 - North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

The first book I've read using the Kindle for Mac application. I tend to not be a huge fan of reading on the computer, but it wasn't too bad. I think my biggest problem was the progress bar at the bottom of the window, which allowed me to rationalize spending time reading when I should have been doing other things. (75% read? I could probably finish in a few hours!) I was prompted to start reading North and South after I watched the BBC miniseries adaptation from 2004. I don't do too much nineteenth-century reading outside of Austen and the Brontes - Gaskell's take on labor conflict, as well as the relative agency she bestows upon her heroine, was truly unlike anything else I've read from the era.

No comments: