Saturday, December 12, 2009

Quoted IX

"My experiences as a fan have changed how I think about media politics, helping me to look for and promote unrealized potentials rather than reject out of hand anything that doesn't rise to my standards. Fandom, after all, is born of a balance between fascination and frustration: if media content didn't fascinate us, there would be no desire to engage with it; but if it didn't frustrate us on some level, there would be no drive to rewrite or remake it."

-Henry Jenkins, Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide, p. 258

There's nothing more insanity-provoking that being caught in a race-to-the-finish project for class when you're actually really interested in the source you're reading. I had to sort of blow through this one, but I look forward to returning to this work in the future.

No comments: