Thursday, December 17, 2009

Best of the 00s: Odds and Ends

Camp is a bit hit-or-miss as a complete film, but its stagings of musical numbers from shows-within-the-show (most, if not all of which are from musicals that hadn't made it to the screen at the time) are fairly spot on. The increasing Oscar buzz around Anna Kendrick makes this as good a time as any to share this clip:



A list that never quite became as fully formed as I liked was "Musicals I Hope Will Be Made into Movies in the 2010s." However, Company is unequivocally at the top of that list. It's a fantastically cynical show, which might change some musical-hating minds, and it's a great ensemble piece. "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" played so well in Dreamgirls (talk about your uneven movies), I'm dying to see an actor with pipes to do the same to "Being Alive." It would also be nice to see someone new - that is, outside of the Marshall-Condon-Ortega-Shankman group - offer a different take on the twenty-first century film musical like the eye Tim Burton brought to Sweeney Todd. Maybe Sam Mendes? His films can tend to be terribly self-serious, but the experience from his celebrated stage take on Cabaret plus his affinity for marital angst just might work for Company.

2 comments:

Emma Barry said...

Did you see the Great Performances's Company from two years ago with Raul Esparza?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/company/index.html

It would be worth ordering the DVD through ILLiad if it's available. It was that good.

liz said...

I actually have the DVD - I feel like I mention this every time I talk about Pushing Daisies, but I'm still so disappointed that they never had him sing with Kristin Chenoweth. Maybe he'll turn up on Glee since they seem to be amassing Broadway-type guest stars.