Thursday, October 23, 2008

Badass Ladies of the Twilight Universe: Kate

“‘Maybe,’ Kate said, her face suddenly serious.  ‘Maybe it only works on the weak or the young.  I’m not sure.  You look strong, though.  Perhaps you could withstand my gift.’  She stretched her hand out to him, palm up – a clear invitation.  Her lips twitched, and I was pretty sure her grave expression was an attempt to hustle him.

Garrett grinned at the challenge.  Very confidently, he touched her palm with his index finger.

And then, with a loud gasp, his knees buckled and he keeled over backward.  His head hit a piece of granite with a sharp cracking noise.” (Breaking Dawn, 624-625)*

There was a time last year when I was among a group of friends discussing what superpowers we would like to have, and I literally could not think of one.  I ran through the standard Heroes types – flying, mind-reading, etc., but I just couldn’t find one that I really, truly wanted.  (I eventually settled on "a heightened sense of grace." I'm not sure that I identify much with Bella as a character, but the clumsiness is one thing that I know from personal experience.  In the past few years, I've walked full speed into a fire hydrant, gotten a heel stuck in the crack between sidewalk slabs, and fallen part-way down an escalator.) However, after reading Breaking Dawn, I know what power I want.  I want Kate’s power. Among the not-insubstantial cast of new characters introduced in that book, Kate stands out as a woman who knows her own power, and isn't afraid to use it.  I mean, for real, being a human taser would just be so righteous. 

*Meyer, Stephenie. Breaking Dawn. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2008.

No comments: