Monday, December 10, 2007

Writing for the Sake of Writing

I've got writer's block for everything important that needs to get written RIGHT NOW. This may get a bit random, and maybe even abnormally prolific, over the next week or so, as somewhat of a dumping ground for rambling/chisel for the aforementioned block.

I watched Cold Case earlier tonight. I have an odd sort of relationship with Cold Case - I rarely make time to watch it, it's the sort of thing that just sort of occurs to me to do sometimes after The Amazing Race, particularly in times like right now, when football pushes the CBS shows back so they're not airing on the hour and it's not worth it to change to
Desperate Housewives in the middle of the show, or it's a rerun like tonight. The thing about Cold Case is, I've cried at the end of practically every episode of that show that I've ever seen. I cried tonight, and not five minutes before I did, I was thinking that I wasn't that emotionally invested in this week's episode - I mean, I guess there's a scale. Most get some kind of sniffle or tearing up. Then there are some that are so touching ("Boy in the Box" or "Forever Blue") that I bust into sobs at the end. They've got their show-ending montage down to a science, and the moment when the episode's departed returns to gaze upon their loved ones now that their murder has been solved and their soul is at peace is the showstopper. It's not always the most subtle show, but it's not like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, where you practically expect Ty Pennington to break the fourth wall, gaze into the camera, and wail "CRY!!!"

No real point to that, I guess, just saying that if you've got nothing better to do, you could do a lot worse than Cold Case.

Below is one of said montages, from the episode "Forever Blue." It doesn't really make much sense out of context, and I don't know if I can do the emotionally-wrenching-ness of the episode justice with a short synopsis - it's about the murder of a police officer in the late 1960s, who ends up having been in love with another police officer and it is all very, very sad. The first time I saw this episode, I was watching with a suitemate, and we were both sobbing hyper-emotionally at the end.


No comments: