Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NBC, I Need You to be AWESOME

Can you be awesome?



I swear, if Jay Leno's stupid 10 o'clock bullshit interferes with the renewal of Chuck, I will be so upset.  I've given up on so many shows this season.  I don't know if it was the writer's strike, or what, but I have stopped watching multiple shows without caring at all, something I used to never do.  I watched all of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.  I watched all of October Road.  I used to not be a show-abandoner, but I just can't bring myself to keep up with Heroes anymore.  Or Brothers and Sisters.  Or Ugly Betty.  Good shows keep getting cancelled (Pushing Daisies, Kings (probably)) or they end (Battlestar Galactica) or they're limited to 13-episode seasons (Friday Night Lights, anything on cable), which is narratively excellent but bookended by insanity-inducing lengthy hiatuses.  Television is far and away my favorite medium, and Chuck turned into such a pleasant surprise this season, building on the entertaining premise established in the first season and adding depth, emotion and a general all-around awesomeness.  Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak more than delivered this season.  I can only keep my fingers crossed, and send this wish into the cosmic void, that NBC appreciates that delivery and has good news for the fans during their upfronts.

2 comments:

Katie Bennett said...

Chuck's season finale was so awesome, there are hardly words. If that was the last episode ever, I just can't imagine getting myself excited to watch anything on NBC ever again.

Do you read Alan Sepinwall? His Chuck reviews are amazing.

I adore television, too. It makes me feel guilty sometimes. Like when you're sitting around with a bunch of academics and someone says, "I don't watch much television." Then someone else chimes in, "I only ever watch Frontline." "Well," someone else says, "I don't even own a TV."

I couldn't live without my TV and my DVR. I think being interested in culture means that I should be interested in all of it.

liz said...

This past year, I've started reading Sepinwall religiously. You can tell that he truly loves television, and I think that his enthusiasm for Chuck helped me to get to this point where I'll feel devastated if it doesn't get renewed.

I'm a total media junkie, and have different fixations with film, books, and music, but television is on another level to me. I'd be an absolute basket case without television, and it drives me crazy when people denigrate it as a medium.