Monday, March 02, 2009

Mood Music XII

Over the weekend, I was watching American Graffiti - a film with a seriously excellent soundtrack, which reminded me how bitchin this song is:



Right now I'm watching some concert special of the reunited Police on PBS (stalling instead of washing my dishes or reading for class) and trying to restrain myself from buying a greatest hits compilation - I'm really, really trying to curtail the impulse shopping. Even Sting sounded a little jumbled singing "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic," which just reinforces my feeling that it is not a good song for people to sing on American Idol. (I mean, seriously. Who thinks to themselves, "I must impress America with my vocal talents! But what song should I use to ensure my survival in this vote-based competition? I know! "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic!") Just because it's a good song doesn't mean that it will serve you in that capacity. Which is a long winded way of saying, I haven't heard this one yet, but I'm hoping to:



That one time a couple of years ago when the Idol weekly theme was something like "Gwen Stefani's favorite songs, and also some that she sang" and it was a seemingly random mix of No Doubt, the Police and, like, Cyndi Lauper songs, the one that stood out as well-chosen was whoever sang "Every Breath You Take." (Phil, the bald one who was in the military, whose last name I can't remember and can't be bothered to Google) The "ohhhh, can't you seeeeeee" actually does work as a vocal showcase.

1 comment:

Hanna said...

Phil...Stacey?